Tonight was “try something new in the kitchen” night and I had a recipe I was eager to test out. It involved chicken, mushrooms and sherry so you know it had to be good. And without further ado…here it is.
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 small can mushrooms
1/2 cup sherry
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1. Coat both sides of the chicken breasts with flour.
2. Place oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. (The chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked as it will finish cooking in the oven.)
3. Transfer chicken to a casserole dish.
4. Place butter in the same pan, add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook while stirring until mushrooms are heated through. Add sherry and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Add cream of mushroom soup and cook until hot.
5. Pour soup mixture over chicken and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
I served the chicken with mashed potatoes and green peas. It tasted great. Both Gayle and I decided it should be added in to the rotation. And as a bonus, it was not difficult to make. You could serve it with rice or noodles, there was plenty of gravy to put over whatever your side is….it was very good over the potatoes. Next time, I might saute some onions to add in the gravy.
We will definitely have this one again…..and I’ll try to remember to take a picture!